Farewell, Alpine 6!
Wildwood has been bustling with improvements January – February of 2016 thanks to nine Americorps team members, led by grounds manager David Pickens, facilities manager Ira Grace, and an elite crew from Central Arkansas Master Naturalists, the Nature Conservancy, Tom Tull Studios and Stageworks. Known as “The A Team” around Wildwood, Alpine 6 of NCCC Americorps’ Southwest Region provided more than 4500 hours of volunteer service to improve the Park and its amenities.
Here’s a condensed list of what Team Leader Brian Wegner, along with Haley, Maddy, Charles, Patrick, Tayla, Perry, Jessica and Waldemar accomplished:
- Trailblazed the Wild 40, the Nature Trail, and the Ruth Allen Dogwood Trail
- Landscaped park areas and refurbished multiple flowerbeds throughout the Butler Arboretum
- Recovered 100+ lobby chairs
- Built a new bridge and created a new rock dry bed for the Nabucco Waterfall in the Asian Woodland Garden
- Attained Level A chainsaw status
- Removed thousands of pounds of tree debris from Denny Road and the Wildflower Glen
- Provided support for Wildwood’s Jr. Naturalist Camp
- Inventoried properties and scenery and, outdoors, indigenous plantings throughout the Park
- Painted the concessions stand and several restrooms
- Built a volcano and decor for LANTERNS! Festival, and hosted more than 8000 guests with 350 volunteers
Thank you, A Team, for being part of Team Wildwood – may our paths meet again!
ArkansasGives is a 12-hour statewide online giving event sponsored by Arkansas Community Foundation. Visit ArkansasGives.org between 8 AM and 8 PM on Thursday, April 7, and select Wildwood Park for the Arts in the drop down menu.
And make your dollars count even more! On ArkansasGives Day, each nonprofit is eligible to qualify for additional dollars through a matching pool of funds from Arkansas Community Foundation. All participating nonprofits will receive a portion of the matching pool. The more a nonprofit raises, the more bonus dollars it will receive. Even small nonprofits receive matching funds!
We’ll make it really easy for you! Let us help you help Wildwood! With your permission, Wildwood will make a courtesy call or email a personal reminder to you on April 7th. Simply contact Mary Bea Gross, Wildwood’s development officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an extra incentive, by making a gift to Wildwood Park for the Arts during this 12-hour giving period, your impact will be DOUBLED thanks to a generous matching gift from a Wildwood supporter. When you choose to give to Wildwood Park, your gifts will be matched dollar-for-dollar, up to $10,000, on this special day of giving.
Take a few minutes to give to Wildwood Park for the Arts on ArkansasGives Day April 7th! Your contribution will be matched by our supporter, and Wildwood will receive Arkansas Community Foundation funds as well – a perfect trifecta of giving!
When you give on ArkansasGives Day, you are joining a statewide celebration of giving and can help Wildwood raise even more dollars to support the Park’s mission to enrich the lives of Arkansans of all ages by creating community through nature and the arts.
Join us in supporting Wildwood Park for the Arts on ArkansasGives Day April 7th. Together we can make a difference!